Search Architecture Forum Search   View/Edit Profile Profile

Record Unemployment Among Recent Architecture GraduatesRecord Unemployment Among Recent Architecture Graduates

arkitectum
Employer

Posted: 01/12/12 08:16am  Reply with quote
Record Unemployment Among Recent Architecture Graduates

A new study released 4th January by Georgetown University's Center on Education and the Workforce indicates that recent college graduates with architecture degrees have the highest rate of unemployment. Among recent college graduates polled, those with the highest rates of unemployment had undergraduate degrees in architecture (13.9%), followed by the arts (11.1%), and the humanities (9.4%). Graduates with the lowest rates of unemployment had degrees in health (5.4%), education (5.4% and agriculture and natural resources (7%).

The study comes amid the continuing debate over the value of education as an economic investment. While fields like engineering are said to result in a 50% increase in earnings over a lifetime than say architecture, some say they have no regrets they studied architecture and are optimistic about the future. Commenting on the sad state of affairs, Valerie Berstene, who recently graduated from Catholic University with a master's degree in architecture told a reporter at the Washington Post: "Its slim picking out there, that's for sure. It's challenging in ways that I never anticipated. But if I left for another field I would miss architecture."
Page 1 of 1